The Draper Room
Part of the original 1740s house. May have been original kitchen; became dining room or second parlor when Silas Grout enlarged the house in the late 18th century. Now furnished in 19th century decor with many items from the Draper family.
James and Emeline Amanda Draper
Emeline Amanda (Reeves) Draper (1810-1875) and husband, James Sumner Draper (1811-1896.) James Sumner Draper was a farmer, writer, surveyor, Town librarian and 19th century historian of Wayland.
CHEST ON FRAME
Queen Anne, country style. 18th century.
Watercolor on paper, by Eliza Gleason in the 1820s. Memorializes her brother Liberty and sister Abigail, who died as youths.
With sample of raw silk in elegant box. From silkworms raised at Draper home in 1826.
Judge Mellen wedding china (1831) and others.
PAINTING OF YOUNG GIRL
Abby Drury Draper (1835-1876) at about age 3. She later married James Austin Draper, son of James Sumner Draper.
Made by Samuel Stone Noyes for First Parish Church.
PAINTING OF OLD RED STORE
Painted by L. Anna Dudley in the 1850s. Housed drygoods store and post office. Newell Heard, who lived in the Grout-Heard House, was proprietor and postmaster until 1865. Later moved to present location just south of Wayland Depot and is incorporated into the barn at 11 Cochituate Road.